KING RIVER GORGE RAFT AND STEAM EXPERIENCE
The King River Gorge, Raft and Steam Experience is a collaborative adventure between King River Rafting and the West Coast Wilderness Railway, combining the thrill of white water rafting with a return steam train ride through wilderness and history.
Your rafting experience begins on the King River, surrounded by the mountains of the West Coast Range. From our entry point, we’ll navigate through 7km of the King River Gorge’s exicting rapids, from Newall Creek to Dubbil Barril, passing through a remote rainforest gorge past thousands of ancient Huon Pine trees. It’s a peaceful day in the wilderness, mingled with some excitment as we pass through some exhilarting raids, including the famous Sailor Jack Rapid. We’ll catch glimpses of the West Coast Wilderness Railway on our journey. Our journey downriver continues until we meet the train at Dubbil Barril Station. The return steam train ride takes us over a steep ridge using the rack and pinion Abt system to move the train out of the gorge and safely down the other side. Homeward bound the train stops at Rinadeena, a water stop for the train and coffee or whiskey for us, and again at Lynchford, this time, maybe for a chance at gold panning. The last stop is Queenstown, where our tour ends.
• Raft the King River Gorge with exciting Class III Rapids
• Get up close to ancient rainforest and rare Huon Pine trees
• Unspoiled environment of the Garfield River
• Portage the exhilarating Sailor Jack rapid
• Ride the West Coast Wilderness Railway’s heritage steam train
• Visit Rinadeena and Lynchford train stations
• Full day wilderness rafting experience
• Trained and qualified guides
• Comprehensive commentary on the natural and human history of the area
• All the requisite rafting and safety gear, including wetsuit, helmet and lifejacket
• River snacks of sweets, nuts and bottled water
• Transport to the river from Queenstown.
• Use of waterproof cameras to take photos of your rafting experience (Take these memories with you: purchase a King River Rafting USB drive with all your photos for $25)
• Return to Queenstown on the West Coast Wilderness Railway heritage steam train over the steep ABT section of track
• Complimentary hot drink at the Rinadeena cafe
• All day parking available at the West Coast Wilderness Railway Station (Fees may apply)
Suitable for: families with stronger children.
Start time: 8am or as notified
End time: Approx. 2pm
Duration: 6 hours
Start & end location: West Coast Wilderness Railway station, in Driffield Street, Queenstown
Minimum group of 4, maximum 16.
Operates 7 days per fortnight.
- Full Day Rafting Experience
- Activity Duration
- 6 hours
- Activity Location
- Queenstown, Tasmania